Lloyd advises various multinational companies on a diverse range of commercial matters, with a particular emphasis and understanding of the energy and resources sectors.
For more than 20 years Lloyd has also advised on significant projects within the engineering and mining sectors, including mining construction projects, energy infrastructure projects, mergers & acquisitions, tendering, consortia and joint ventures, mining projects, farm-in agreements, gas supply agreements, gas transport projects.
Lloyd advises across both the public and private sectors and has extensive experience in the use and creation of both bespoke and standard form construction and professional consulting contracts, and in-depth practical knowledge of construction law and infrastructure development, EPC, EPCM contracts, incentive structures and alliance agreements. He has acted for employers, contractors and consultants (both local and international) on projects, disputes and other matters in connection with energy, mining and process plant projects.
Lloyd is also admitted as an Attorney and Notary Public in South Africa. He holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Advising the State of Papua New Guinea and its national petroleum company, Kumul Petroleum, on negotiations with ExxonMobil (as operator) and its joint venture partners in respect of the multi-billion dollar development of the P’nyang gas field, including a third train alongside the existing US$19 billion PNG LNG project.
- Advising Kumul Petroleum in relation to its participation in the development of the Pasca A gas fields, Papua New Guinea.
- Advising Jemena on its gas transportation arrangements and pipeline construction agreement in relation to the Port Kembla LNG import terminal.
- Advising Pilbara Solar in relation to the feasibility and structuring of a solar farm in Western Australia, as well as advising on the relevant EPC and O&M terms.
- Advising Aibel Pte Ltd, Singapore, in relation to the FEED EPC for the development of a compression module for the processing of hydrocarbons in a gas field project.
- Acting for Meridian Energy Australia in relation to its Hume dam hydro power storage project.
- Advising Kumul Petroleum on a range of transactions, and legislative and regulatory reform initiatives (including with respect to gas supply and transportation).
- Acting for the State of Papua New Guinea in relation to the Porgera mine project.
- Structured Glencore’s African copper mining operations and advised on their construction projects within this sector of their business.
- Drafting Royal Bafokeng Platinum’s general capital procurement mine construction contracts (including design construct, O&M, decommissioning), all of which are bespoke contracts utilizing FIDIC-principles.
- Drafted the first African NEC Alliance Agreement for Palabora Copper Mining.
- Assisted Palabora Copper Mining in resolving community disruptions at its copper mines.
- Acting for African Panther Resources AG and Noble Resources AG in drafting their long and short term offtake agreements in relation to tin and tungsten East Africa (namely Uganda and Rwanda) and Nigeria; advising on the financing agreements and the security arrangements in relation to those operations.
- Advising numerous consortia in relation to their bids in South Africa’s Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme between 2011 and 2016, involving structuring of consortia, drafting of EPC and O&Ms, and PPPs with Eskom.
- Advising Eskom, South Africa’s power utility, in relation to licensing, contracting, construction and procurement for its Kusile and Medupi coal-fired power stations, being involved in all aspects of drafting, negotiation, project management and facilitation in relation to the projects.
- Advising Tongaat Hulett Limited in relation to their new Mozambican sugar plant, drafting tendering documents, EPC and EPCM agreements and related contracts; and waste biofuels project.
- Advising the sponsors of the trade corridor from Mozambique to Namibia, including all regulatory, logistics and beneficiation aspects, shareholding structures, preliminary funding structures, greenshoots funding, governmental support, and related matters.
- Advising Xstrata Coal on the establishment of their Tweefontein mining operations, including the drafting of all EPC, mining and contractor agreements, construction agreements, supply agreements and general procurement agreements.
- Advising Glencore Operations on the construction of a Water Treatment Facility, including the drafting of all agreements required in order to establish the plant.
- Advising a UK private equity acquisition of a number of coal mining rights and prospecting rights in South Africa, and the subsequent reverse takeover of the assets into a TSX listed vehicle.
- Advising Debswana Diamond Mining Company in Botswana on various aspects of its business and operations, including its construction projects at its three diamond mines in southern Botswana.
- Providing commercial advice to a number of large international engineering companies, AECOM, Aurecon and Hatch, in Africa on their mining-related work and projects.
- Advising International Marine Services (Mauritius) on the construction of its fuel bunker in the Mauritius harbour, comprising the EPC arrangements with the contractor, who will, in turn, be placing contracting the tender based on FIDIC 1999 contracts.
- Drafting offtake agreements in relation to coal and platinum activities for, inter alia, Anglo Platinum, and Northam Platinum Limited.
- Drafting HSBC’s Precious Metals Lease Agreement.
- Drafting Molten Sulphur and Sulphuric Acid Supply Agreements for Lanxess Mining Pty Ltd.
- Advising Blyvoor Gold Capital Pty Ltd on its EPC arrangements.
- Drafting Ore Treatment Agreements for Sibanye Platinum Mining.
Awards and Recognition
In 2019 was listed as a stand-out lawyer with the independently-rated “Acritas Star” listing and was named a “Leading Lawyer” in the infrastructure area.
Lloyd was listed as a “Best Lawyer” in South Africa for 2019.
G+T examines 2021’s public M+A transactions valued over $50 million involving ASX-listed companies. The Review provides our perspective on the trends for Australian M+A in 2021 and what that might mean for you in 2022.