Ben is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Corporate Advisory group.
He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, general corporate and energy/resources law. His practice covers private/negotiated sales and disposals, cross border M&A, takeovers, joint ventures, capital raisings and corporate governance matters. His clients include listed companies, global energy companies, private equity groups and start-ups.
Previously he has worked at a leading ‘magic circle’ law firm in London and as an investment banker.
Ben is a member of the Melbourne University Law School Advisory Council.
Ben has bachelor’s degrees in law (Honours) and Commerce (Honours in Economics) from the University of Melbourne. He is admitted in practice in Victoria and England and Wales.
Ben’s experience includes advising:
- BGH consortium on its $2.3 billion acquisition of Navitas by scheme of arrangement.
- Jadestone Energy on its US$195 million acquisition of the Montara oil field from PTTEP.
- Neptune Energy on its US$3.9 billion acquisition of ENGIE’s E&P assets.
- Ansell on the US$600 million sale of its global sexual wellness business to Humanwell Group and CITIC.
- Orica on the sale of its global chemicals business to funds advised by Blackstone for A$750 million.
- Jadestone Energy on its acquisition of the Stag offshore oil field from Santos and Quadrant Energy.
- Orica on joint venture and marketing arrangements for an ammonium nitrate plant with Yara in the Pilbara.
- Detector Technology (a portfolio company of Ampersand Capital Partners) on its acquisition of ETP Ion Detect.
- Ansell on its acquisition of Ringer Gloves.
- Ixom on its acquisition of LogiChem.
- LocalAgentFinder on capital raising, commercial contracting and corporate governance matters.
- MoneyPlace on capital raising and corporate governance matters and on its sale to Liberty Financial.
Awards and Recognition
Ben has been recognised for his work in Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law and Financial Institutions.
Ben was recognised in the Corporate and M&A category.