Ben is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Corporate Advisory group.
He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, energy/resources, foreign investment and corporate law. He regularly advises on cross border M&A, FIRB, corporate restructurings, joint ventures, directors duties and corporate governance matters. His clients include listed companies, global energy companies, private equity groups and start-ups.
Ben has also worked at a leading ‘magic circle’ law firm in London and as an investment banker.
Ben is a member of the Melbourne University Law School Advisory Council.
Ben has bachelor’s degrees in law (Honours) and Commerce (Honours in Economics) from the University of Melbourne. He is admitted to practice in Victoria and England and Wales.
Ben’s experience includes advising:
- Orica on its $180 million sale of its Minova business to Aurelius Group.
- BGH consortium on its $2.3 billion acquisition of Navitas by scheme of arrangement.
- Jadestone Energy on its US$195 million acquisition of the Montara oil field from PTTEP.
- Neptune Energy on its US$3.9 billion acquisition of ENGIE’s E&P assets.
- Ansell on the US$600 million sale of its global sexual wellness business to Humanwell Group and CITIC.
- Orica on the sale of its global chemicals business to funds advised by Blackstone for A$750 million.
- Jadestone Energy on its acquisition of the Stag offshore oil field from Santos and Quadrant Energy.
- Orica on joint venture and marketing arrangements for an ammonium nitrate plant with Yara in the Pilbara.
- Detector Technology (a portfolio company of Ampersand Capital Partners) on its acquisition of ETP Ion Detect.
- Ansell on its acquisition of Ringer Gloves.
- Ixom on its acquisition of LogiChem.
- LocalAgentFinder on capital raising, commercial contracting and corporate governance matters.
- MoneyPlace on capital raising and corporate governance matters and on its sale to Liberty Financial.
Awards and Recognition
Ben has been recognised for his work in Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law, Financial Institutions, Commercial Law and Energy Law.
Ben was recognised in the Corporate and M&A category.
We define what sustainable finance is, why it is essential, highlight two distinct approaches to sustainable financing frameworks and more.