Ben’s specialisation includes advising on all aspects of environmental impact assessment and approvals strategy, planning and environment law advice and litigation, remediation and development of contaminated land and corporate environmental due diligence.
Ben has successfully advised corporate and government clients on the development of complex projects in a wide variety of industry sectors.
Ben has qualifications in Law (Honours), Science (Environmental Science) and Town Planning.
Ben’s experience includes advising:
- Norsk Hydro ASA (one of the world’s leading aluminium manufacturers) in relation to all planning and environmental related matters associated with the $150 million remediation, rezoning and redevelopment of its former Aluminium Smelter at Kurri Kurri, NSW.
- Altius Pty Ltd to successfully defend civil enforcement proceedings in relation to it’s historic “Pasadena site” in Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
- Veolia in respect of planning and environmental risks associated with its proposed delivery of the $200 million Springvale Mine Water Treatment Project.
- Elanor Investors Group (the owner of Featherdale Wildlife Park which is an iconic wildlife park in Australia) in relation to Class 4 Civil Enforcement Proceedings in the Land and Environment Court of NSW against Sydney Zoo Pty Ltd (who are the proponents for a new zoo approximately 6km from Featherdale).
- GrainCorp Limited on environmental aspects of the sale of its Australian Bulk Liquid Terminals business to ANZ Terminals Pty Ltd for an enterprise value of approximately $350 million.
- Jadestone Energy on environmental aspects of its acquisition of the Montara oil project (Montara) from PTT Exploration and Production Company Limited (PTT).
- Dyldam in relation to its mixed use redevelopment project (a mega 1200 apartment project) at the former Rositano Furniture site in Merrylands, Western Sydney.
- Keppel in relation to contamination liability risks associated with its proposed $1.1 billion acquisition of Australian Chemical firm Ixom from Blackstone.
Awards and Recognition
Ben is recognised by Best Lawyers.
G+T examines 2021’s public M+A transactions valued over $50 million involving ASX-listed companies. The Review provides our perspective on the trends for Australian M+A in 2021 and what that might mean for you in 2022.