On 16 December, Woolworths Group announced an Independent Panel Review (IPR) into Endeavour Group's proposal to develop a Dan Murphy’s retail outlet in Darwin, with Danny Gilbert AM announced as panel Chair.
Danny Gilbert today announced panel members, as follows:
- Heather D’Antoine, distinguished Honorary Fellow with Menzies School of Health Research
- Neil Westbury PSM, Former Commonwealth Public Servant and Director of the Indigenous Land Corporation,
- Nigel Browne, Former Crown Prosecutor and Chief Executive Officer of the Larrakia Development Corporation,
- Roland Houareau, General Manager of INPEX in the Northern Territory
Danny Gilbert said: “I am pleased with the diversity of experience of those who have accepted my invitation to be part of the IPR into the proposed Darwin Dan Murphy’s development”.
“Work has commenced, and the panel plans to deliver its findings to the Woolworths Group Board by the end of March.”
The panel will review the proposed Dan Murphy’s development and provide a report to the Woolworths’ Board containing its conclusions and recommendations. It is anticipated that the review will be broad ranging and will include a review of:
- The adequacy and nature - including both breadth and depth - of stakeholder engagement relevant to the Darwin Dan Murphy’s Development, including with respect to public health concerns;
- The extent to which stakeholder concerns are - and have been - factored into decision-making regarding the Darwin Dan Murphy’s Development;
- Best practice as it might apply to the supply and sale of alcohol from the proposed Darwin Dan Murphy’s development, particularly as it impacts the lives and best interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including - but not limited to - potential process changes and technology solutions.
The IPR is finalising the full scope of its enquiries which will be further and valuably informed by its community consultation process. All interested parties are invited to both speak to the panel and make submissions to it. The consultation process will be communicated to interested parties and the panel can be contacted as follows:
The IPR will be assisted in its work by Accenture.
Despite the licence for the proposed development being granted by the Northern Territory Director of Liquor Licensing, Woolworths Group has committed that no final decision about the future of the proposed development will be made until after the panel’s review has been completed.
Upon completion of the Board’s review, Woolworths Group will also publicly release the panel’s report, and will take into account all recommendations made.
For further media enquiries please contact Danny Gilbert on +61 2 9263 4000.