Doing Business in Australia is a complete guide for foreign investors looking to invest in Australia. It aims to provide an introduction to the laws of Australia for overseas legal practitioners.
This Doing Business in Australia guide is divided into three main areas:
- Section 1 provides an overview of Australia’s government, legal system and important regulatory bodies.
- Sections 2, 3 and 4 answer some of the threshold questions an investor faces in considering how to enter the Australian market, such as: whether foreign investment approval is required or recommended for the particular investment, if the investment relates to the establishment of a new business, whether that business should be set up as a branch office or a subsidiary of the parent company; and if the investment, relates to the acquisition of an existing business, whether takeover laws will apply.
- Sections 5-19 provide a summary of some of the important rules and regulations governing an investor’s day-to-day business activities in Australia - see list below.
- Guide for Foreign Investors to Acquisitions in Australia
- ASIC and the Laws and Regulations Governing Corporations
- Guide to Raising Capital in Australia
- Guide to Financial Services in Australia
- Guide for Foreign Investors to Australia’s Banking System
- Guide for Foreign Investors to Taxation in Australia
- Guide for Foreign Investors to Australia’s Competition Law
- Guide to Fair Dealing and Consumer Protection in Australia
- Guide for Foreign Investors to Employment Law in Australia
- Guide to Intellectual Property in Australia
- Guide to Environmental, Planning and Climate Change in Australia
- Guide for Foreign Investors to Property in Australia
- Guide to Native Title and Indigenous Heritage
- Guide to Anti-Money Laundering, Counter-Terrorism Financing and Corrupt Practices Legislation
- Guide to Privacy and Data Protection, Direct Marketing, Spam and Do Not Call
- Guide to Dispute Resolution in Australia
Unless otherwise indicated, a reference to a “section” is a reference to a section of this guide.
A glossary at the end of this guide sets out a list of all regulatory authorities and legislation referred to in this guide.
All dollar amounts are in Australian dollars.
As with other guides of this type, the information provided is of a general nature and is meant to aid the reader in identifying issues for which additional expertise must be sought, it is not a substitute for obtaining more detailed advice and it does not take into account the particular circumstances of the reader.
This Doing Business in Australia guide is current as of April 2021.